Friday, August 18, 2017

Robert McAllister's June 1862 Chickahominy River battle report

On June 27, 1862, the 1st New Jersey Regiment fought Confederate troops on the left bank of the Chickahominy River during the Peninsular Campaign in Virginia.  Lieutenant Colonel Robert McAllister, of Oxford Furnace (later of Belvidere) took command during Colonel Alfred T. A. Torbert's malaria illness.

On July 4, Colonel Torbert forwarded McAllister's battle report to the headquarters of the Army of the Potomac.  "Hdqrs. First Regt., First Brig., Sixth P.A.C. [Provisional Army Corps], Camp near James River, Va. July 4, 1862.   Sir: I have the honor to transmit herewith the report of Lt. Col. Robert McAllister, First Regiment New Jersey Volunteers, relating to the part which that regiment took in the engagement on the left bank of the Chickahominy River, on June 27,1862...At the time I was confined to my bed with remittent fever, but being informed that my regiment was going into action I started for the field of battle at once, and arriving there had to go to several points of the same before finding my regiment.  In the meantime I saw part of the  division falling back, and I went to work with other officers to rally and collect the men, and among them part of my own regiment.

"Sergeant-Major [William S.] Provost rendered me much assistance in this task.  From all the information I can gather Lieutenant-Colonel McAllister displayed great bravery and coolness during the action.  I cannot refrain from speaking of the valuable services rendered by Chaplain R. B. Yard in looking after and caring for the wounded and helping collect the regiment.  Surgeon [Charles C.] Gordon and Assistant Surgeon [Philip M.] Senderling did their duty nobly."

McAllister reported, "The First Regiment New Jersey Volunteers, together with the balance of the division, on the 27th of June was ordered across the Chickahominy River to support General Fitz John Porter's corps.  The regiment was hurried to the scene of action, and on forming line of battle was ordered to support a battery which was engaging the enemy.  Soon after General Porter ordered me to advance in the woods to support the Third Regiment New Jersey Volunteers.  Reaching the position ordered I made the regiment lie down, but three companies from the left, being uncovered by any troops in front, I immediately ordered them forward to engage the enemy, which they did most gallantly, Captains [Valentine] Mutchler, [John] Mount, and [Ephraim] Brewster in command.  In a short time the whole regiment was engaged, and a most terrific fire was kept up on both sides for about an hour and a half, while the regiment was engaged.  The regiments on my right and left having fallen back, and the enemy making a movement to outflank me on both sides, I ordered a retreat.

"During the early part of the action Major [David] Hatfield, while fighting bravely, was wounded on the head and had to leave the field.  Soon after I lost the services of Lieut. Frank B. Holt, of Company E, who was severely wounded in the arm, and Lieut. Charles W. Mutchler, Company D, severely wounded in the side.  While retiring from the woods the regiment was under a cross-fire from the enemy, and then it was that we lost both officers and men.  Capt. Ephraim G. Brewster, Company C, fell dead on the field of battle while fighting bravely.  Capt. John D. P. Mount, Company I, fell, severely wounded in the leg. Lieut. John Parker, Company B, missing supposed to be killed.

"Too much cannot be said in praise of Captains [Charles N.] Pelouze, [Enos] Fouratt, [Alexander M.] Way, [I. H.] Baker, and [John W.] Brown, Adjutant [William] Henry [Jr.], and all the lieutenants engaged.  To mention non-commissioned officers who distinguished themselves would be to name nearly all, for both non-commissioned officers and men could not have behaved better under fire."
  

No comments:

Post a Comment