Wednesday, January 8, 2014

August 1863 Letter From Edward Albertson, 31st NJ Regiment

On Sunday, August 30, 1863, Private Edward H. Albertson, of Frelinghuysen Township, wrote to his brother Corporal Isaiah Nelson Albertson, who was recuperating in Tilton Hospital in Wilmington, Delaware. 

Edward Albertson joined the 31st New Jersey Volunteer Infantry Regiment at age 22 on September 3, 1862.  He mustered out of service on June 24, 1863. 

Albertson wrote, "Well, Nells, I'll pen you a few lines before I go to bed - been to quarterly meetin' at Ebenezer this afternoon.  This forenoon attended Uncle Vansyckle's funeral at the Union [Tabernacle] - he died Friday night - had the dysentery I believe.  There is quite a good many sick.  Tommy Poyer buried his son - Little Bill - a few days ago.  He a Diphtheria.  I did not work any last week and haven't been very well this [week] but worked though - dizziness is what bothers me.  I feel well now though.

"They haven't drafted here but I wish they had though.  Frelinghuysen has sent her number.  They went in the Cavalry - several of them were out when I was.  I don't know what they are going to do in Hope.  They talked of taxing every one liable to draft 25$ to help pay their exemption but I think the men ought to go and then give them the money...John Hendershot [Co.K, 1st NJ Cavalry] is home on furlough - got a ball in his [right] foot..."

Copyright 1999-2014: Jay C. Richards.

No comments:

Post a Comment